Sunday, January 13, 2008

Changhua

Train to Changhua City, heading south along the west coast.

The first site is a fan-shaped train depot. It is "the only remaining fan-shaped depot in Taiwan, the others having fallen into disuse with electrification of the national train system."

I almost couldn't find it. It doesn't seem to be a tourist hot spot if today is any indicator.

Upon entering the grounds I noticed a sign that said that only authorized personnel were permitted. It was odd. I ended up signing a guest book and looking inside the warehouse.



Very cool.



Off to the Confucius Temple. It was built in 1726. Within the walls there is the temple (below), several classrooms, and other buildings.





So I wonder where the famous Buddha stat -- oh.


Great Buddha Path of Philology.


Many more steps.

Mount Baguashan - a past and present lookout point. A bunker:


Atop the path:



Breezy lookout.


Side-step several hundred paces, and you've reached the Great Buddha. This is some of what Buddha sees:


Hot day, hot people.


22 metres high, the "statue of the Sakyamuni Buddha, [is] the largest in Asia."



Shrine inside the Buddha statue:


There are several levels inside. Each level has displays and write-ups depicting parts of Buddha's life. At the top level you can look out from Buddha's eyes and ears, but the floor has been closed off. Maybe too many people were reaching enlightenment too easily.


Pagodas galore.




With all those balconies, don't you feel like living here?




Going up there was like walking into a dream. The air was fresh, music was playing from speaker phones, and the atmosphere was something that my pictures couldn't capture.



There are three shrines on the different levels of one of the pagodas.





Nine Dragon's Pond isn't near as spectacular as its name suggests.


There was another place I wanted to visit, the Red-hair well. It's 300 years old and is "the last of the original Dutch-built wells in central Taiwan." It was getting late and I was growing tired, so I didn't spend much time lingering when I thought I couldn't find it. Actually, it was right in front of me. It's in such an odd place that I thought I had the wrong place. There are no signs and the launderers' presence made me feel like I was intruding. *sigh* Guess I'll have to go back if I really want to see it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omigod, what a day! Such great photos, such great subjects. Train station, Buddha, temples, dragons, bunker. Weird about the well. Something for everyone. :D

Unknown said...

The fan shipped building is called a "Round house" along with the associated turntable was used when they ran steam locomotives on the railway, very interesting!

Elizabeth said...

I thought that would catch your interest.

Anonymous said...

We *want* a roundhouse for our garden railway. :)