Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A new year

After work a co-worker and I caught the train to Taipei. Busy, but not nearly as busy as the MRT at Taipei Main Station. To get to the Bannan Line it was insane. I know what is it like to be a penguin: I waddled and couldn't see where I was going. Waddle, waddle, stop. Waddle, waddle, stop.


Somehow we made it to our destination - an apartment in Taipei. We joined the party inside.


Before midnight we went to the roof of the apartment to watch the fireworks at Taipei 101. Apparently this is the last year that Taipei 101 will hold a fireworks display. I had good timing.


2008:




Honestly, Taipei 101 is behind all that smoke and light. It didn't last very long.

After the smoke cleared:


Other rooftop firework viewers set off their own explosives:


At one point during the night, seven guests sat stuck in the building's rickety old elevator. We watched on surveillance cameras as firemen came and helped them out.

I stayed up too late. We were going to watch the sunrise, but it was cold outside and somehow it didn't work out. I only slept for a few hours before catching the train back to Zhongli.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good timing indeed--a very waddle worthy event. Great photos and, I expect, better memories.

I remember we watched coverage on TV of New Year's fireworks at The Eiffel Tower in 2000 knowing you would see it and the new lighting in a few months time. :)