Saturday, February 9, 2008

Day 2: Beijing; my blood is on the Great Wall

Slept in to some degree. Caught a tour bus to the Badaling section of the Great Wall.


'Museum' visit included in tour. It wasn't much of a museum, and thanks to my Beijing tour book, I knew what was coming after the jade 'museum.'


We had to pass through the heated and brightly lit jade shopping centre before heading upstairs.


Our tour included a free lunch. This place looked more like a store than a restaurant.


We were fed, however.


Badaling:


It's about 70 km outside the city. Very cold, especially with the winds sweeping through the mountains. Still, I'm glad I went during the low season.




I wanted to visit another section of the Wall as well, but time wasn't permitting.

To get close to a walking section of the wall we rode a pulley/roller coaster up the mountain. This is how we came down:


I was jogging down a hill on the Wall and fell on my ass. A finger cut and blood gush ensued.


The visit to the Great Wall took up most of the day. I wanted to visit another place when we got back to the city, but it was too dark for taking pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strange. Could that have been the exact same day I fell outside my hotel in Montreal? Right behind me was an excited toddler and a large Golden Retriever puppy trailing his leash; both were running loose. I didn't "stand" a chance--underfoot was a thick layer of ice under several inches of snow. But I lost no blood.