Monday, February 11, 2008

Day 4: Beijing

Might actually be crazy for getting up so early. Walked to Beihai Park. By the time I got there the park was open, but the white bagoda on Jade Islet wasn't. I waited until it was open and hiked to the top.

The park is beautiful, even on a cold morning. I didn't have enough time to explore the whole park, however.





In Beijing I felt like a vampire because I was planning my outings around daylight hours. (Except, I was more like the opposite of a vampire, since I was avoiding hours without light). Must! have! light! for photo-taking!

Many of my pictures didn't turn out as well as I'd wanted. Maybe the pollution was a contributing factor.

Caught the bus to the Summer Palace. For over an hour bus ride the fare was 2RMB.

The Summer Palace is also huge. I was fast-walking much of the time and still didn't have enough time to cover the grounds. There are endless halls, bridges, stairs, water displays, trails, shops, etc. to explore. Another place where photos do little justice.

Stage:



The Long Corridor:



The lake was frozen and many people went out for a waddle.


Marble Boat:


How sad that I ran out of memory space on my camera :( I was already trying to be careful not to go too crazy and take too many photos. I ended up buying a few disposable cameras. Currently, I anxiously await the day that the photo shops open and I may develop my film. The day I got back to Taiwan I bought more memory for my camera.

At night (and in the morning) I watched part of a ceremony the military was performing. From there I walked around the neighbourhood of my hostel and found a popular snacking street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photography despite lighting and memory problems! Such beauty!

*Memories of our California road trip--emergency shopping at Fred Meyer!