Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 2: Thailand

Morning. I go to my gate and await my flight to Chiang Mai.


An hour later and I arrived in Chiang Mai. At the gate exit people were greeted with leis and dried fruit snack packs.


From the airport I took a taxi to the old city of Chiang Mai where my hostel is. The old city is surrounded by a moat and remains of a wall.

Local transport: songthaew.


After checking in, I wandered around Chiang Mai, mostly checking out wats. I also nearly got a sunburn, and I did suffer from heat exhaustion. I kept wanting to see more, however I wasn't drinking enough and it was bloody hot out. Several hours later I was back at my hostel trying to get the sun out of my body.

Apparently many tourists don't visit now because it's too hot. Most of the sights I saw weren't packed with foreigners, however there were still many farangs when compared to Taiwan. It was really strange to hear (and be involved in) so much English-speaking with strangers. So many of the locals I met knew English and were comfortable making conversation.



If you can get around the flash, this guy looks like Ben Afleck.




One of many golden chedis.


Under construction:




Local transport: tuk tuk.


City moat:





In the afternoon I met with Carl. Can't remember how long it's been since we last saw each other, yet I don't feel the need to calculate. It was good to see him and the city that he lives in. We went for a drink, dinner, and the Night Bazaar. Seemingly endless stalls - however we didn't walk the whole stretch.


How to make any item designer:


Preparation for Songkran begins. That is, Thai new year, which is next week. People celebrate by having water fights and even soaking strangers in the street. That's how the moat comes in handy in modern times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again, great pics of great sights, but I can't wait to be debriefed. Tardo!!! :D