Friday, April 11, 2008

Day 3: Thailand

The scooters here are slimmer.


On my third day (more like my second) I visited some more wats. This time I had the morning advantage, and it wasn't quite as blisteringly hot out yet. I had more time and patience to wander around and find the more famous wats.


Monks aren't allowed to accept anything from the hand of a woman. It's supposed to subdue any potential temptation a destroyer, I mean woman, might cause.

These flowers didn't look real. They reminded me of lamps for sale at Gizmos.


At Wat Chiang Mun; oldest wat in the city. Here, a chedi is supported by stone elephants.


For a fee you may set these birds free.






Thai 7-11:


Wat etiquette:


At Wat Phra Singh there are many signs like this one posted around the grounds.





My tuk tuk ride to the Chiang Mai Zoo. I didn't actually go to the zoo though. Carl recommended I transfer from there to get to my next destination. As you might imagine, people are always honest and wouldn't dream of ripping off a tourist. To avoid being overcharged, I went to the zoo, waited for a songthaew to fill, then journeyed the windy road up Doi Suthep mountain. How I grew nauseous.


Wat Doi Suthep is famous in Chiang Mai and a must-see. You have to take your shoes off before entering a wat, and this place had the largest shoe waiting spot I'd come across. Then again, most of the wats I visited weren't busy at all.



The most famous sight on the grounds:







"Footwear permitted."




In the afternoon I got a manicure and then checked out Sunday Market. What a cool place. It became incredibly crowded there. So much to buy and eat.



The market stretches on and on, possibly into eternity. It's held each Sunday as the name suggests. It was interesting to see the market wrapping and working around the historical grounds of wats.



Massage much?


Gecko at my hostel:


Crunchy snacks I did without:


At night I met with Carl. We walked around Sunday Market for awhile and grabbed a bite to eat.


Later I got to meet Carl's girlfriend. We went to a bar and I met Carl's friend - the owner. I played pool, though I'm pretty terrible.

An elephant was walking down the street. For a fee, you can feed the elephant.

A van bar.

It was late when I went back to my hostel.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg, I'm speechless! What a full and wonderful day! G and I always feel like the pictures of the flowers are just for us. <3

The gecko reminds me . . . I have a gecko question for you.

Elizabeth said...

I like that you two get enjoyment out of the flower pics, however they're mostly for me! It's exciting to see all the different types, some familiar, many not. Each time I see a new kind I want to take a picture. The people I've met in Taiwan think I'm crazy for flowers ;)