Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hong Kong: 1

We arrived at the airport in Taiwan in the afternoon for our flight several hours later. While we were sitting having a drink there was a small earthquake. I didn't actually feel it though, because my legs were propped up off the ground.

Our flight was late leaving by about half an hour. In itself, the flight was fine. It took less than two hours to get to Hong Kong.
We had a local tour guide to pick us up from the airport and show us around Saturday and Sunday. Our first stop was a viewing point of the bridge that we'd just crossed. The Tsing Ma Bridge is one of the world's longest suspension bridges.


From there we went to a hotel. Too bad it wasn't ours.

There was a name mix-up, and we ended up going to a hotel with a similar name in an area 30 minutes away from our hotel. Once realized, we found out the correct address for our already booked hotel.

Instead of going to the hotel first as planned, we went to the Ladies' Night Market in Kowloon. Food stalls, clothing, various kinds of junk, and loads of real designer goods. After that we headed to the nearby Temple Street Night Market. Less crowded, and less food stalls. More about goods, and there were quite a few fortune teller booths.

We must have stayed out till 11pm or so, and we were all tired. We then drove to our hotel in Kowloon City. It's an affordable hotel area, and low-rent neighborhood. It's near Kowloon Walled City Park, and by the old Kai Tak International Airport.

*more details to come*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great start; waiting patiently for more. :-)

Traditions in Hong Kong: eating, shopping and fortune telling. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Did u have a good Chinese Moon Festival??? OMG, u went to Hong Kong>< Miss HK~~~ Did u brought anything?? How do u like it? Miss ya so much~~~

Elizabeth said...

I wish I'd gone to a fortune teller just for the fun of it. However, I would have had to get a translator!


I hardly bought anything. I surprised myself with that one. It was rushed, the mood wasn't "shop" (haha), and a lot of the stuff in HK can be bought for less in Taiwan.

I think when I get back to Canada I'll think everything is ridiculously expensive.

HK is great. Love it from what I saw. It's a lot like Vancouver. I felt so weird being able to speak English to so many people there. I kept hesitating.