Monday, August 6, 2007

Stormy weather

"Tropical storm Pabuk formed today, Sunday, in the Pacific Ocean east of Taiwan. The name Pabuk, a type of large fresh water fish, was contributed to the regional list of names by Laos.

According to the Japanese Meteorological Agency tropical storm Pabuk is currently located 1100km south east of Okinawa with sustained winds of 40 knots or 46mph. The storm is forecast to move west northwest and threaten northern Taiwan as a typhoon in three days."

People in Taiwan like typhoons because it means a day or more off from work or school. Yeah, that's kind of a foreign notion to me. A day off due to snowfall - yes. Typhoon? Um...

This tropical storm just may interfere with a school field trip planned for this Thursday and Friday. I was really looking forward to our overnight trip, but it may have to be postponed. If that ends up being the case, then my lesson plans for this week are all screwed up too. I patted myself on the back for planning my lessons for this week in advance, and I did my best to cram 5 days worth of material into 3 days. Now, it's a waiting game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your first typhoon sounds interesting and so different from a snow day but who doesn't mind missing school and work for a day or two?

Good planning Teacher Liz! Fingers crossed for the field trip though, I want to hear all about it.