Monday, July 9, 2007

An evening stroll

Monday today, and that means back to the work week. Today went by relatively quickly, which was nice. After work I walked to the post office to buy stamps. I only bought a few, and I had to bring out my Mandarin dictionary to explain what I wanted. I would have bought more, but I'd like to make sure that they're the right type .

I walked back to my place along this street. The picture makes it seem much darker and eerie than it is.
Exhibit 1: stamps
Exhibit 2: sample make-up remover
Exhibit 3: toothpaste (as least I hope it is, and not some other sort of cream)
After the post office, I walked around an area previously unexplored. I was given the make-up remover sample by a woman working in a pharmacy. Sales people treat you like you're royalty until you tell them you're not buying that useless cream or gadget.

Anna Sui is cheaper than Maybelline.

I walked into a fruit market to get something to eat for tomorrow, and a man working there started yelling his nectarine sales pitch in my direction. He kept trying to sell me nectarines as I walked through the store, and I couldn't help but start to laugh. It's the strangest thing not being able to communicate well with the majority of the public here. A lot of people know a little bit of English, but only a little bit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Will you live dangerously and just go ahead and brush your teeth with that "toothpaste" or get it translated?

Cheaper than Maybelline? I'll book a flight.

It is the oddest feeling to not be able to communicate; when you don't answer, they keep pestering you more. Try speaking French to them; I did that to the timeshare salesmen in Cabo San Lucas and they left me alone.

Elizabeth said...

I'll live dangerously.

Sometimes I can get away with a smile or a nod, but other times I am forced to reveal my non-Mandarin speaking self.

I could speak French, or I could fake speaking another language that I don't actually know like German.

Unknown said...

Hey, welcome to Taiwan. Yours has been an interesting blog to read - it reminds me of when I first arrived here. Anyway, the toothpaste is called Hei-ren which literally means Black Person (hence the Black & White Minstrel fellow). It used to be called Darkie in English, but they've since changed that to Darlie to be less offensive. Just thought you might like to know. :)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for reading my blog Steve, and for letting me know about Hei-ren. I'm still using up my last tube, so I haven't tried the new toothpaste yet.

How long have you been living in Taiwan?