Friday, July 6, 2007

I didn't get lost at the airport; the beginning

Off to a good start. Off the plane, and into Taiwan's Taoyuan International Airport. As soon as I stepped off the plane, the humidity in the air welcomed me. I managed to make my way through customs, and baggage. My first "Ni hao" was at the immigration desk.

My flight was early, and by the time I breezed through customs, I found out that there was noone waiting at the airport to pick me up. I didn't wait long though, and then my boss and program manager met me, and took me to see the school. I met the staff - a lot of names and faces to remember - was shown the grounds, and introduced to a lot of the students.

Later that night I was shown to my apartment, and taken to a nearby supermarket for basic supplies. I live on the second story in a building a block away from the school. It's also very convenient for me to get to RT-Mart (a supermarket). There are several 7-11 convenience stores close by as well. Taiwan, at least in the city, has a lot of 7-11s.

Culture shock definetly set in on my first day here. The humidity has been the most difficult thing for me to get used to. The air is heavy and polluted from all the scooters here. Apparently the scooter to person ratio is 2:1.

I couldn't get my air conditioner to work properly during my first week here. It made my life more difficult because I'd just be sitting in my room and sweating. I couldn't sleep well either. Now my air conditioner is working as I intended it to, and I just have to say that life is so much better.

No comments: