Friday, July 6, 2007

Taiwan: Day 2

My 'bed,' aka wooden box, with thin 'mattress' isn't very comfortable. I think I can live with it though. I slept without a pillow for three nights. When I did purchase a travel-size foam pillow, the level of comfort of my 'bed' improved.

I woke up before my alarm, and I decided to go for a stroll in my neighbourhood before going to work. There are palm trees in the streets. I'm living in Jhongli city, by the way. It's about half an hour away from Taipei. In English, the city is usually spelled as 'Jhongli,' but I like to spell it another way I've seen it written: Zhongli. I've also seen it spelled with a 'Ch.'

At work for the first few days I've been getting acquainted with the school and materials. Lesson planning in the works. I helped sat in on/helped another English teacher in her kindergarten class today. One of the students hugged me at the end of the day :) I don't teach until July 2nd though.

Today was my official contract signing, even though I already signed one before I bought an overseas ticket. The school provides free lunch and dinners during the week, so it's nice to not have that extra worry and expense. I don't have a kitchen, so it is a big help. I do have a jumbo kettle and a small fridge in my room though. Oh, I even have a TV in my room; it hangs on the wall. I don't use it though.

What's unbelievably fantastic about my food situation is that the school kitchen - where I get my lunch from - only serves vegetarian food! I can't believe my luck. For dinner, I get take-out delivered to me. It's odd eating out so much of the time, but what's great is that I've like a lot of the new food I've been trying.

No comments: