Friday, July 13, 2007

Let me get this straight

After work tonight, a few co-workers, two members of their family, and I went to a salon to get our hair 'done.' You don't need to make an appointment, you just show up. Apparently the wait time, if there even is one, is never very long.

Step 1 Coat hair in chemical goo, then saran wrap hair:
Step 2 Sit under heat bulb (my term, btw). Wait 18-22 minutes.
Step 3 Remove saran wrap, wash, and then dry hair. Flat iron. Spray hair with foamy, blue liquid, then sit still for 15 minutes. Wash hair again. Dry again.

Product: straightened hair:
I never thought I'd straighten my hair. So many clones, I mean girls, get this done in Vancouver. Everyone dresses in the same brands and styles, and I try to distance myself from that in some respects.

Anyway, I've sat through over two hours worth of hair manipulation, and I must say that I like it. This picture is salon-day hair, so who knows how out of control it will look after the first at-home wash.

It's very cheap to straighten hair here. An added bonus is that longer hair does not cost extra (well, at least at the salon I went to). Besides the straightening, my visit also included tea, and a scalp and shoulder massage. If you want a haircut, book a flight to Taiwan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many reasons to come to Taiwan. Oh! And to see you of course!

Cheerio said...

Does it cost extra if you want to get your long hair straightened in Canada? Even in Japan, we dont have to pay extra. Maybe it is Asian thing.

Elizabeth said...

In Canada, as far as I know, the longer your hair, the more it will cost to dye/straighten/perm it.

I went to another salon first & asked how much it would cost to straighten my hair. The woman wanted to see how long my hair was, then she told me a price. I didn't end up going to that salon because it was nearly three times the cost of the salon I did go to.