Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The man with the fish

Walking home from work several days ago I came across this fish in a bucket. The splashes focused my attention. By the time I whipped out my camera to take a picture, a man walked out of his home/store - which had been shut up - then proceeded to try to sell me the fish. He soon found out that I didn't speak his language, and that I didn't actually want to buy the fish.

Today my class went to the pool again. I think this'll be a regular weekly thing for the next month and a bit.

Some of the students wanted to watch an English movie in class, so I had to take it home to preview it. The name of the movie is written in characters, so I didn't know what it was until I actually loaded it on my computer. Turns out it's Music and Lyrics. A cute movie.

For some odd reason, when I look out my window, I'm reminded of what Ewan McGregor's character in Moulin Rouge sees when peering out from his apartment. My second floor view is mostly of an unfinished building across the street. Maybe it's the lighting from the sky that does it...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Esther Williams comes to mind: fish in a bucket, swimming (like a fish), Music and Lyrics, Moulin Rouge.

Do you remember me talking about her? She is the reason when I was a little girl that I wanted to be a mermaid.

She is unique to this day; her movies were musicals but instead of dancing they did synchronized swimming.

It's good to overlay movie images over your real life, especially when Ewan McGregor is involved.

Anonymous said...

hi liz,
i know what kind of fish is that cuz i really like to eat that when i was in HK....i think u should try that next time, it's very delicious....Yummy ^^
Agnes

agnes said...

hio

Elizabeth said...

I do remember you talking about Esther Williams. I have to watch a movies of hers sometime.



Agnes:
I want to go to HK sometime since I'm so close by. Besides shopping,& eating, what else is there to do that's fun there?

agnes said...

i always like to eat........hehe*@*..i like food so much....

Anonymous said...

Esther has at least one very enterprising son who created a website for her. She is still designing swim wear; Nicollette Sheridan wore one of her suits on the Vanity Fair cover featuring the Desperate Housewives. Five of her movies are coming out on DVD today at www.tcm.com, Turner Classic Movies. They are all corny and old-fashioned but she was a true athlete, a competitive swimmer. She did her own stunts in the movies and among other injuries, broke her neck filming a 50' dive putting her in a body cast for 6 months.